Sunday, December 20, 2020
God’s plan all along was to send His Son into the world to save sinners. At just the right time, God the Son “emptied himself by assuming the form of a servant, taking on the likeness of humanity” (Phil. 2:7). The birth of Jesus was a miracle.
The Gospels of Matthew and Luke begin by giving details of the Messiah’s birth: Mary became pregnant by the Holy Spirit and gave birth to a son. The baby was God’s Son, and He had an earthly father—Joseph. As the angel had instructed, Joseph named the baby Jesus.
The apostle John began his Gospel in a different way. John 1:1 parallels the words of Genesis 1: “In the beginning … ” In the beginning, God spoke creation into existence. Everything was created through God the Son. (Col. 1:16) John names Jesus as “the Word.” (John 1:3)
John 1 provides a bigger picture to accompany the story found in Luke 2:1-20. “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:14). As you talk with your kids about Jesus’ birth, help them realize why Jesus came. Jesus did not enter an already good world that simply needed some guidance and improvement. He came into a dark world cursed by sin to a people who were spiritually dead.
The birth of Jesus was good news! Jesus was no ordinary baby. He was God’s Son, sent to earth from heaven. Jesus came into the world as a human to bring us life. He brought light into darkness and showed us what God is like.
Invite your kids to celebrate the birth of Jesus, which brought joy and peace to a desperate and chaotic world. Pray that God would prepare the hearts of your kids to hear and believe the truths about Jesus and welcome Him into their lives and Lord and Savior.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
- FAMILY STARTING POINTS
- ● Babies and Toddlers
- ○ Jesus has always been with God.
- ○ Jesus is the Son of God and a man too.
- ○ God sent Jesus to rescue us and make us His children.
- ○ Jesus came to earth to show us what God is like.
- ○ The Holy Spirit helps us.
- ● Preschool
- ○ Jesus came to show us what God is like.
- ○ WHow does the Holy Spirit help Christians? The Holy Spirit comforts us, shows us our sin, and guides us as we live for God’s glory.
- ● Kids
- ○ Jesus came to bring us life.
- ○ How does the Holy Spirit help Christians? The Holy Spirit comforts us, shows us our sin, and guides us as we live for God’s glory.
- UNIT KEY PASSAGE
- ● 2 Peter 1:3
- NEXT WEEK
- ● “Faithful in Hard Times” (1 Peter 1–2)