Group Starter Kit
Here you’ll find the basics of starting a group. The most important thing to remember is, we are here for you. We want to help you every step of the way. Please do not ever feel like you are on your own, and reach out to our team with anything we can help you with.
Pray – Seek the Lord’s help first and ask for:
- Courage to step out and lead, even when we feel in-adequate.
- Confidence that the Lord will be with you every step of the way.
- Wisdom to lead and care for people well.
Ask for a Pastor Recommendation
- Complete the Sign-Up form by clicking the button below.
- Contact the Groups Team to set up a conversation with one of our Pastors.
- At the meeting, share your plans and learn how you will be supported and cared for.
Determine Meeting Details – You will need to decide:
- When you’ll meet as a group. We have found that the more consistent you can be, the better chances of success. However, schedules are difficult these days, especially for young families. Flexibility may be something you need to discuss based on who joins your group.
- Where you’ll meet. We have groups that meet in homes (sometimes alternating between different homes), at a StoneWater campus, in a park, at a restaurant, really anywhere that works for you and the group. You’ll need a place that provides some privacy in order to have quality conversations.
- What you’ll discuss. When first starting a group, we’ve found it best to have a curriculum or study that allows you to get to know one another. These studies are normally shorter in length and provide good opportunities for people to share their faith stories. We do ask that any group studies first be approved by our Groups Team.
Invite people to join your group!
We highly encourage all leaders to think of one individual or couple to invite into the group to help co-lead. There will be times that you may not be able to attend, or just need a week off. A co-leader is a huge asset to helping share the load of leading a group. You’ll also want to begin inviting members into the group. Here are a few ways people make their way into a group:
- Personal Invitation – A personal invite from you is the best way to add people into your group. This may be friends you’ve already connected with, acquaintances you’ve met at church, someone who was previously in a ministry you were a part of, etc. We know this can feel scary as it requires vulnerability to ask people to join you. Just remember, it’s worth it. People feel honored that you would even consider them, even if your group does not currently fit their availability or needs.
- Connection Center – Each week we have people walk in to the Connection Center looking for ways to connect into a group. Feel free to stop in and see what connections take place.
- Group Expo – We will host a Group Expo event multiple times throughout the year to highlight available groups for people to join. Leaders man tables/booths where they share information about their group and allow those looking for a group to look at all the available groups and talk with leaders.
- StoneWater 101 – On the first Sunday of every month, we host a StoneWater 101 membership class. Here, we help potential members find a group to help them fulfill their membership expectations.
- Online Requests – As our Groups Team receives Connection Cards or other correspondence, we do our best to quickly facilitate the connection with any leaders looking to add group members.