Diving Deeper into the Christmas Story
Read Luke 2
Overview: The second chapter of Luke tells us about Jesus’ childhood. From his dramatic birth in
Bethlehem, to the widespread recognition of his wisdom as a child in the temple, God is setting the
stage for Jesus to fulfill his place in history as the long awaited Messiah. One of the major themes in
this passage is assurance. Mary, the mother of Jesus, stepped out in faith to accept the difficult role
given to her by God. As God continues to work in the life of Jesus, Mary receives assurance of God’s
plan. She and Joseph take Jesus to the temple for dedication where two different people prophesy
about his future. The Bible records that Mary and Joseph “were amazed at the things said about him.”
As Jesus grew, many more people noticed his astonishing wisdom. God’s special favor was on this
young boy. The Scripture tells us that Mary “stored all these things in her heart.”
- What part of the Christmas story amazes you the most?
- Have you ever experienced fear at something God told you?
- The birth of Jesus most certainly reassured Mary and Joseph in their belief and trust in God. How has God reassured you in times of uncertainty?
- In what ways can you treasure your circumstances as proof of God’s faithfulness to you?
- Read Hebrews 13:5-6. What is God’s assurance to you in this passage?
- Write a prayer of thankfulness to God for his faithfulness in the midst of difficulty.