Sunday, May 10, 2020
Early in His ministry, Jesus and His disciples traveled to Capernaum, a town on the northwestern shore of the Sea of Galilee. Capernaum became Jesus’ home and headquarters. (See Matt. 4:13.) He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, when people would gather to hear and learn from the Scriptures.
Jesus quickly set Himself apart from the scribes and other religious teachers. Unlike the scribes, who relied completely on traditional interpretations of the Torah from other teachers, Jesus spoke with authority. His teaching came from His own authority as the Author of truth, and it had a profound effect on His listeners—they were astonished!
The early miracles recorded in Mark 1 demonstrate Jesus’ power and authority as the Son of God. Jesus drove an unclean spirit from a man in the synagogue; even the demons obey His commands. Then Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law, and that evening the people in the town brought to Jesus all those who were sick or afflicted with unclean spirits. What did Jesus do? He healed them! (Mark 1:34)
Jesus’ miracles continued, and He healed a man with leprosy. Leprosy is a skin disease that would have marked a person as “unclean,” requiring him to be separated from the community. Jesus had compassion on the man and healed him immediately.
Jesus’ miracles brought many people to faith in Him. Jesus’ miracles proved that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God. They strengthened people’s faith and met their needs. Through Jesus, God did what is impossible for us to do on our own. He provided forgiveness, salvation, and eternal life.
Go to our website, stonewaterchurch.com, scroll down to the Kids’ Service button and click on “Parents” for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
○ Jesus’ miracles showed that He is God’s Son.
○ Jesus cared for people.
○ Jesus taught people about God.
○ Jesus healed people who were sick.
○ Jesus takes away our sin and heals our sickness.
○ Jesus’ miracles helped people.
○ What makes people special? People are special because God made us in His own image.
○ People came to Jesus, and He healed them.
○ What makes people special? People are special because we are made in God’s image, as male and female, to know Him.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● John 3:16
● “Jesus Taught in Nazareth” (Luke 4)