Sunday, July 26th
A very large crowd—thousands of people (Luke 12:1)—had gathered around Jesus as He taught His disciples. The people recognized Him as a rabbi (teacher), so it was not unusual that someone called out, asking Jesus to settle a financial dispute. But Jesus knew the man was motivated by greed, and He told a story.
In Jesus’ parable, a rich man had so many crops that he decided to tear down his barns and build bigger ones. That way, he could store everything he had and take it easy. But the man was foolish and short-sighted. He didn’t consider he could die that very night. The saying is true: “You can’t take it with you.” Rather than storing up treasures for ourselves, we should live to glorify God and live generously, using what we have on earth to make an eternal impact.
Jesus also addressed worry with His disciples. Jesus’ followers should not be anxious about their basic needs. God takes care of the birds and the flowers. People are God’s most valuable and beloved creatures; we can trust Him to provide for us!
Jesus contrasted the way the unsaved Gentiles lived with how believers should live. Unbelievers seek wealth and possessions as if that was the main goal in life. They act like God does not care about their needs. But our focus should not be on ourselves, our wealth and our possessions; we should focus on God’s kingdom. We do not need to worry. God will provide. He is glad to give us what we need!
God gives us good gifts on earth. We can steward these gifts for His glory. Earthly treasures will not last forever. Jesus is our greatest treasure. Jesus left His place in heaven to live humbly on earth. Jesus obeyed God to set up His kingdom. We can give generously and trust God to provide everything we need.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
- ● Babies and Toddlers
- ○ Jesus taught about the things we own.
- ○ Jesus said to seek God’s kingdom first.
- ○ When we treasure Jesus, He gives us what we need.
- ○ Jesus is our greatest treasure.
- ○ Jesus taught about God.
- ● Preschool
- ○ Jesus taught people not to worry.
- ○ What did Jesus teach when He was on earth? Jesus taught about God and His kingdom.
- ● Kids
- ○ Jesus taught people not to worry because God provides for our needs.
- ○ What did Jesus teach when He was on earth? Jesus taught about God and His kingdom. He taught that all Scripture is about Him.
- UNIT KEY PASSAGE
- ● John 14:25-26 (Preschool: John 14:26)
- NEXT WEEK
- ● “The Good Shepherd” (John 10)
Go to our website, stonewaterchurch.com, scroll down to the Kids’ Service button and click on “Parents” for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.