Sunday, August 23
Jesus had just fed more than five thousand people on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. After sending away the people and directing His disciples to go back across the sea, Jesus went to a mountain to pray. It was late, and He sought to be alone with His Father. Jesus was preparing to fulfill His Father’s plan. Before long, He would die on the cross and rescue people from sin.
While Jesus prayed, the disciples struggled to cross the sea. A storm came and tossed their boat up and down. They didn’t make any progress against the waves. Then, in the early morning hours, they saw a figure walking toward them on the water. They thought it was a ghost, but it was Jesus!
Peter asked Jesus to command him to come out on the water, and Jesus called to him. Peter walked on the water too—until he remembered the storm. Peter took his eyes off of Jesus, and he began to sink. Peter cried out to Jesus, “Save me!”
Jesus took Peter by the hand, and they got into the boat. The wind and waves calmed. Though Peter had doubted, the disciples worshiped Jesus. Clearly He was no ordinary man; this was the Son of God—the promised Messiah!
Jesus proved that He can be trusted. His miracles, teaching, death, and resurrection showed that He is who He says He is. Only Jesus can save us when we look to Him in faith.
As you talk with your kids, encourage them to look to Jesus in faith every day. We can seek Him for our salvation and for help as we live in this world. Even in the midst of fear and doubt, we can hold out our empty hands and cry, “Lord, save me!” He will answer, and we can respond in worship of our Lord and Savior.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
- ● Babies and Toddlers
- ○ Jesus walked on the water to His friends.
- ○ Jesus rescued Peter when he started to sink.
- ○ Jesus’ friends believed He is God’s Son.
- ○ Jesus showed that we can trust Him.
- ○ Jesus showed He is God’s Son.
- ● Preschool
- ○ Jesus walked on water.
- ○ Why did Jesus perform miracles? Jesus performed miracles to show He is the Son of God.
- ● Kids
- ○ Jesus showed He is God by walking on water.
- ○ Why did Jesus perform miracles? Jesus performed miracles to glorify God, to show He is the Son of God, and to care for people.
- UNIT KEY PASSAGE
- ● Psalm 40:5
- NEXT WEEK
- ● “Jesus Showed His Glory” (Matthew 17; Mark 9; Luke 9)
Go to our website, stonewaterchurch.com, scroll down to the Kids’ Service button and click on “Parents” for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.