Sunday, March 22, 2020
God had chosen Mary and Joseph to be Jesus’ earthly parents. Mary and Joseph named their baby Jesus, obeying God in faith that salvation had indeed come into the world. (See Matt. 1:21.) When the time came for Jesus to be dedicated and Mary to be purified, Mary and Joseph took Jesus to the temple in Jerusalem.
According to the law given to Moses, after a woman gave birth, she was “unclean” and would observe a period of purification. Then she would bring an offering to the priest. (See Lev. 12:1-6.) Jesus was about five weeks old when Mary and Joseph dedicated Him to the Lord and offered the required sacrifice.
Simeon was also at the temple that day, not by mere coincidence but by the Holy Spirit’s leading. (Luke 2:27) Simeon spent His life serving the Lord and looked forward to the day when God would keep His promise to comfort Israel. (See Isa. 57:18.) God promised that Simeon would live long enough to see the Messiah. That day had finally come. Imagine his joy. At last, the Savior was here!
Simeon saw the baby Jesus, took Him in his arms, and praised God. Simeon expressed prophetic praise, trusting by faith that God would keep His promise through this child: “My eyes have seen your salvation” (Luke 2:30). Through Jesus, everyone would be able to see God’s plan. Jesus would be a light for all the nations. He would bring honor to Israel.
Anna, a prophetess, also praised too. At well over a hundred years old, Anna began to speak about Jesus to everyone who was looking forward to God’s bringing salvation to His people.
Throughout the Old Testament, God promised the arrival of a king who would redeem people. When Jesus arrived, Simeon and Anna knew He was the promised Messiah. Today, we have faith that Jesus is God’s Son. We can trust Jesus for our salvation, and like Simeon and Anna, we should share the good news.
Check this session’s Activity Page and stonewaterchurch.com for ways to interact with the Bible story at home!
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
- ● Babies and Toddlers
- ○ We can tell others the good news about Jesus.
- ○ There is no one like Jesus.
- ○ Mary and Joseph took Baby Jesus to the temple.
- ○ Simeon and Anna praised God for Jesus.
- ○ God sent Jesus to earth to be our King.
- ● Preschool
- ○ Simeon and Anna worshiped Jesus.
- ○ Is Jesus God or a human? Jesus is both fully God and fully human.
- ● Kids
- ○ Simeon and Anna worshiped Jesus as the Messiah.
- ○ Is Jesus God or a human? As the Son of God, Jesus is both fully God and fully human.
- UNIT KEY PASSAGE
- ● John 1:1-2 (Preschool: John 1:1)
- NEXT WEEK
- ● “Jesus as a Child” (Matthew 2; Luke 2)