The time came for Jesus to complete what he started, moving toward the climax of the hour that had been anticipated throughout the gospel. Jesus was betrayed by Judas, taken into custody by the Roman guards, interrogated, beaten, and found guilty and condemned to die on a roman cross. Throughout this dark hour, Jesus never lost focus of what was coming. The characters that were involved in this event had no loyalty to Jesus, even one of his own, Peter. Jesus knew his death would cause many to question his power but Jesus knew his death would cause the greatest miracle of all, when darkness became light!
- After the upper room, Jesus led his disciples to the Olive Grove. What took place there? John 18: 1-11
- Peter’s denial of Jesus wasn’t a surprise, since Jesus told him he would deny him. John 13:38, John 18:15-18, 18:25-27 How have you obeyed or denied Jesus lately?
- The Jews along with the Romans participated in Jesus’s crucifixion. John 19:1-16 How did their participation differ and what role do you play in the crucifixion of Jesus? Romans 3:22-26 and Romans 6:23
- How would you explain why Jesus Christ had to die for the sins of the world? John 3:16
- Before Jesus died on the cross he said, “It is finished.” What did he mean by that and how do these words encourage you today?
- Jesus’s death on the cross seems to be a dark tragedy. Why does the crucifixion of Jesus mean so much today and what does it mean to you?